Wednesday, August 13, 2008

trippin the light fantastic.

subtitle: all bottle caps must be removed for the safety of thom yorke.


Wow. Talk about trippy. Thom Yorke is an amazing guy and mirroring his vocals was an insane light show that was non-stop throughout the show. Combined with video and light panels, colors rained down on the stage while glowsticks were constantly pouring into the crowd. The audience, myself included just became entranced in the atmosphere whether it was from the hypnosis of the light show or the clouds of pot I'm not sure. probably both. It felt a lot like Woodstock...or at least how I would imagine Woodstock, but of course on a much smaller scale. My friend Nika and myself did not stray from our island of lawn blankets and gently pushed falling dancers from our space. At times I felt dopey, and dizzy; silly and serene. The ages of our new companions varied. Behind us was a girl of about fifteen with her mom and dad. To our left was couples in their mid-thirties. In front of us, some twenty-somethings, and to our right a bunch of blazed teens.

While watching the show I thought of how it compared to performance art...a happening. Could the same feeling being reproduced in a museum in an installation? No. I don't think you could ever recreate it in an identical fashion. It was once in a lifetime, never to be duplicated the same way again. This might not make sense considering that concerts are essentially a show that is practiced and performed over and over again with the same set list. But the audience, the atmosphere, the sky, the stars, will never be the same. I valued the moment while I was in it, and that's not something that happens very often. Usually it takes reflection on a experience to judge and compare it to others, and then decide how you would rate it in your mind.

Sometimes still, sometimes swaying, you didn't have to know the words to be moved by the songs. This concert fantastic and in case I didn't say it enough...a "trip."













While I'll save it for another entry I think the study of light will always be interesting to me. Some artists spend their whole lives observing and trying to make sense of it. Light can change everything and while I'm currently beginning my website I thought it interesting that for my splash page I chose my abstract light photography.

1 comment:

Downtown Brittni Brown said...

Ahh I'm super jealous. It sounded amazing. I wish I would have been able to go, but I'm glad you went.