Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You're gonna make it after all.


This is courtesy of last year's ad class...a self promo piece. And since this is the first week of senior year I thought it would be an appropriate time for a throwback. The following is basically an essay on how I see myself symbolically.

It’s hard to articulate in words who I really am. I think words are very powerful but to someone who has never met me, my word is hardly a credible source. One can look through a lifetime of photo albums and still not know me but, if I had to present one word to describe myself it would be empathetic. I feel the word empathy is a very deep soulful word. Empathy is so different from sympathy in that you truly try to put yourself in the other guy’s shoes and feel what they are feeling. It is not just feeling sorry; it’s about sharing the sorrow. Empathy involves true understanding, awareness, and sensitivity. Unfortunately often times people associate this word with weakness, and weakness is far from who I am. An image that symbolizes who I am would be tied lace. In all aspects of my life I try to be strong. The knot in the lace represents my mental, emotional, and physical strength. In order to walk out the door without slipping out of your shoes you need to know how to tie a good strong knot that will last throughout your day. The two loops in the lace stand for the balance between my professional life as a student and transversely my personal life. I think it’s understandable that sometimes one loop is bigger than the other, but I always maintain my core knot-who I am. I pride myself in being a very dedicated student and friend. I love being organized and squared away. I’d sooner do too much than not enough. I’d sooner tie a double-knot just to be safe. Sometimes I plan ahead more than I should- but it's because I have high esteem for my future. I find it necessary to always re-examine where I’m at in my life and if I’m headed towards my dreams. Teach me a new way to tie my laces and I will certainly try it but I will maintain my core (knot) principles.

Sometimes laces get overlooked. I know that also holds true for me. I feel I’m a person worth getting to know, but I don’t try to force anyone to know me. I believe in being modest, and I’d sooner hang back and listen to you, than stand up and speak about me. This doesn’t mean that I don’t stand up for what I believe in or cast a vote to make a change. It means that before I make such decisions I hear all sides involved. I put myself in their shoes and exercise my word, empathy. I try to pull both loops of shoe lace to make sure the knot is tight. I draw from my personal and professional experiences when faced with a big decision or change.

The knot on your laces is not made from one side of the lace alone, it is made from a binding of the two. You must understand and except this if you wish to keep the knot tied. Keeping that knot tied is not always easy and it takes effort and practice to know how to make right. Success is a joint effort. Any success I have is not my success alone, but a collaboration of all of those who have helped me along the way. My belief in doing good for others is reflective of this; this is how I put effort into keeping my knot tied, and knowing others. I always try to stay awake in my surroundings and I love learning new things. I believe that any task, favor, or even just a kind word can make a positive impact in someone else’s life. I get enjoyment out of putting money in other people’s parking meters, and writing letters to people just to let them know I care. I really try to keep the peace in my life and in the lives of those around me. I don’t like to cause the problem, I like to solve it. I like being genuine and easy to get along with. I appreciate a really good sense of humor and I generally I listen more than I speak.

A simple shoelace my not seem like a big deal but it still matters very much and in a sense it symbolizes that the little things matter. Anyone can make an impact, even in the small accomplishment like learning how to tie your shoes. I think the problem today is that we get so caught up in our daily routines we forget the simple things in life; we forget to exercise a little understanding and empathy for the other guy. At times I can be a little bit of an uptight person, but I think it’s just because I’m so structured with myself. I don’t believe in failure, and I don’t settle for less than what I know I am capable of. I also get frustrated when I know people around me are not living up to their full potential. i I think in order to achieve greatness you have to be able to see that within yourself first. If you are content with mediocre than that may all you will ever be. Learning how to tie your laces is about not giving up. It is about facing a challenge and conquering it. With each success you build confidence in yourself and find yourself stepping up to the next challenge.

In the next five years I hope to just be a better version of who I already am. I value the person I am at present and I don’t feel like a great change is necessary. By that time I’ll have finished my degree and I hope to be working at a job I enjoy without a great deal of stress—expcept for eustress of course . I haven’t ruled out going back to school for a master’s or doctorate because I know the more knowledge one gains the more understanding they aquire. Knowledge once gained, is something that cannot be taken away and is essential in creating the change you want to see in the world.

My design employs a limited color palette and because of that is bold and easily understood. Even though I normally like to pack a lot of elements into my designs, it’s always simplicity and minimalism that works best in coveying a message that is clear, direct, and clean. I think the symbol may not be well understood at first glance, but that is exactly who I am. You need to look a little closer and find the person behind the picture; you might even need to read a little. In the design I’m using the laces as reminders. They are reminders of what it takes to be a good designer and reinforce the fact that I don’t forget who I am. I tie my laces everyday. I don’t just slip them on. If you slip your shoes on enough the knot gets weak-you forget what it is that makes up your core. I take the time to think about me and to not settle for less.

And if you can’t say it best, say it with a quote.
(give credit where credit is due)

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.
AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words each hour, each day, everyday, until the words become as much a habit as my breathing, and the action which follows becomes as instinctive as the blinking of my eyelids. With these words I can condition my mind to perform every action necessary for my success. I will act now. I will repeat these words again and again and again. I will walk where failures fear to walk. I will work when failures seek rest. I will act now for now is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy. I am not lazy. Tomorrow is the day when the failure will succeed. I am not a failure. I will act now. Success will not wait. If I delay, success will become wed to another and lost to me forever. This is the time. This is the place. I am the person.
"Do all things with love."
"Treasure the love you receive above all. It will survive long after your good health has vanished."
-Og Mandino

The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
-James a Michener

I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all.
-Leo Rosten


2 comments:

Downtown Brittni Brown said...

Holy shit.

I don't even know what to say.

This comment is to be continued. I need a few hours to process all that.

You may be a knot or a lace. But I'm a CHAINSAW!

That makes no sense.

But I'll explain later.

Downtown Brittni Brown said...

I think every time I'm feeling a little lonely, a little empty and maybe even a little lost at school, I'll come back to this entry from you - which is an entry above all entries and find myself a little inspired, a little hopeful and a little found.

It's great words to begin this new journey of a year by and even greater words to live by.