Friday, July 18, 2008

City and Colour

Binney & Smith, now officially known as Crayola LLC (as of 01.01.07) will soon be my new place of employment.

Starting in October I will be interning at the Crayola Factory, and I'm already beginning to get that anxious/excited feeling. Crayola is such a huge brand to have the opportunity to work with, and the name alone "Crayola" has 99% recognition in US consumer households, and is sold in 80+ countries worldwide. (http://www.binney-smith.com/)

Current celebrations in the land of Crayola include the 50th anniversary of the 64 box of crayons which debuted in 1958 on Captain Kangaroo. Crayola has also launched 3D sidewalk chalk, color wonder mess-free creative products, color surge markers, and no-drip paint brush pens.

Another random Crayola fact that I never knew was that in 1984 Crayola became a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards. Today Crayola has manufacturing facilities in Easton, Bethlehem, and Mexico City, with sales and marketing facilities in Canada, England, Australia, France, Mexico, Italy, and Spain.

I've heard mixed reviews about actually working for Crayola...Everyone that I've talked to from the design departments have had pretty positive things to say, while others in business and product development have been on the opposing end, and all visitors to the actual Crayola Factory have given absolutely rave reviews about the facility. Overall, I understand that Crayola's main goal is to cater to the consumer with classic products, while still keeping an eye on future development and new discoveries for kids. I expect my experience to be a good one, with lots to learn and most importantly not being afraid of coloring outside the lines.

1 comment:

Downtown Brittni Brown said...

I'm super excited for you. I think it will be a great opportunity for you and a great experience. You only deserve the best for your career.