Friday, July 25, 2008

It's actually pretty disgraceful.

I came across this quote on TV today and was pretty shocked that this is how some young women of today represent themselves and their gender. Way to go Brooke.

“You know what? I am actually not that much into voting. I think it’s kinda crazy that a woman is running, because I think that women deal with a lot of emotions and menopause and PMS and stuff. Like, I’m so moody all the time, I know I couldn’t be able to run a country, ‘cause I’d be crying one day and yelling at people the next day, ya know?”—Brooke Hogan, when asked who she’s voting for by a potential roommate on her series Brooke Knows Best.

I definitely don't approve of all of the exposure they get in order to make themselves look bad. In a few years I'm sure they're going to see themselves on air and feel pretty stupid about the whole thing. Our society loves this stuff though. It's like we can get enough of it, like fast food and eventually we're going to need a detox of television...just like we needed a mandate against trans fat. Reality television is truly cellulite for the brain and you can quote me on that. Even though we know it's bad though we still can't help but watch the train wreck; seeing others crashing and essentially making us feel better about ourselves. And the other motive of tv is to just make us more materialistic and product driven. Whatever the goal it's not something we should be proud of.

I'm not saying that this is representative of all of young Hollywood, but there are certainly quite a few that are outshining the rest—and not in a good way. VH1 recently aired the 40 dumbest celebrity quotes ever and while I enjoy when they poke fun at celebs just as much as the next guy, they air a lot of the shows that produce those quotes...so I don't know what that really says about them considered most of reality tv is scripted. Here's a few of my favs anyway:

Jessica Simpson - "Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna but it says Chicken, by the Sea"
Tara Reid - "I make Jessica Simpson look like a rock scientist"
Paris - "What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff?"

R.Kelly - "All of a sudden you're like the Bin Laden of America. Osama Bin Laden is the only one who knows what I'm going through."
Brooke Shields - "Smoking kills, and if you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."
Britney Spears - "I've never really wanted to go to Japan, simply because I don't really like eating fish, and I know that's very popular out there in Africa."




1 comment:

Downtown Brittni Brown said...

I agree. It's amazing what dumbasses become famous and say the most retarded things. Those quotes were just sad. What is even sicker is how we buy into reality tv as well. The one girl who I watch at daycare said to me yesterday that if she could go on a reality show, she'd go on Big Brother. Now, I've never personally watched Big Brother but I always thought it was sorta like The Real World.

It's amazing what kinds of impressions young minds make. The kids favorite movies are like epic movie, scary movie, superhero movie, Meet the Spartans...etc. I never realized who watch those loads of craps before until I realize how much kids wanna be older and watch awful unfunny movies with the worst stuff in them.